Text: 2Tim. 1:12 "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day".
1 Cor. 15:58 " Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord".
From The 2,200 Quotations From The Writings of Charles A. Spurgeon Concerning- 2Tim.1:12 he says "Paul does not say, "I know what I have believed," though that would have been true. He does not say, "I know when I have believed," though that would have been correct. Nor does he say, "I know how much I have believed," although he had well-weighted his faith. He does not even say, "I know in whom I have believed." he says expressly, "I know whom I have believed," as much as to say, I know the person into whose hand I have committed my present condition and my eternal destiny. I know who he is, and I therefore, without any hesitation, leave myself in his hands."
"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18
1.Divine is defined as "by or from God."
2. Ability is defined as" the power to perform or accomplish".
3. The Infinity of God is defined as "that perfection of God by which He is free from all limitations. In ascribing it to God we deny that there are or can be any limitations to the Divine Being or attributes".
4. "This" is defined as "indicating the nearer of two or nearest of several things in time or space."
1.Our Assurance As A Blessing From God Is Based On God's Divine Ability.--- A. Concerning God's Omnipotence. Deut.32:39 "See that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand." Isa. 45:5-7 "I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: (vs6) That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else.(vs7) I form light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."
2. Our Assurance As A Blessing From God Is based On God's Divine Ability With Respect To The Infinity Of His Power. Eph. 3:20-21 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, (vs21) Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. A-men."
3. Our Assurance As A Blessing From God Is Based On Meeting The Condition Of Mind Necessary To Build The Strength Of Our Assurance--- Rom.8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
4. Our Assurance As A Blessing From God Must Be based On My Persuasion Of God's Inseparable Love ---Rom. 8:35,37-39. "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? (vs37) Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. (vs38) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, (vs39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus." (However Consider What Can Hinder This)---Isa.59:1-2. "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear. (vs2) But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear."
5. What Are Our Assurances That Are The Blessings Of God Which We Are Given:
A. The Assurance of the Comfort of God's Presence---Isa. 43:2. " When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."
B. The Assurance of Spiritual Renewal To Those That Wait On Him--- Isa. 40:29& 31. (vs29) "He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength." (vs31)But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
C. The Assurance of Brighter Days--- Psa. 30:5. "For his anger endureth but for a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."
D. The Assurance That Our Suffering Will Have A Beneficial End---1 Peter 5:10. "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strenghten, settle you."
E. The Assurance That God Will Complete The Work That He Begins In Us---Phi. 1:6. "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Christ:"
F. The Assurance Of Who We Are As The People Of God---1 Peter 2:9-10." But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (vs10) Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."
G. The Assurance Of The Lord's Keeping Power--- Jude(vs24-25)."Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, (vs25) To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. A-men."
H. The Assurance Of The Submission Of All Things--- Phi.3:20-21. "For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: (vs21) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."
I. The Assurance Of The Final Deliverance From Pain And Suffering--- Rev.21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."