The Pulpit Commentary, Vol.18, Page 226, a comment on Romans 8:28 "The Christian may learn to avoid murmuring, when he remembers that even untoward circumstances are intended to work out his highest good. Such a conviction casts a new light upon daily experiences; and what otherwise might be regarded as annoyances, calling forth resentment, are now looked upon as ministrations of Divine love and mercy. The Christian may seek to profit by all God's providential dealings. It is the spirit in which these are received which determines whether or not they shall be means of blessing; and the proper spirit is one of submission and teachableness. The Christian will cherish the expectation that the day will come when, looking back upon the path by which he had been led, and the discipline through which he has passed, he shall be able gratefully to acknowledge that God "hath done all things well."
Romans 8:28-31 speak of 3 of the unfailing divine purposes of God.
A. Irresistible --- Isa.14:27 "For the Lord of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back."
B. Irreversible--- Jer.4:28 "For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it."
Eccl.3:14 "I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him."
C. Unchangeable Through Christ ---2 Tim. 1:9-10 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, (vs10) But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:"
If God Be For Us Who Can Be Against Us; Gives Us:
1. Promises to the Afflicted of (A) Brighter Days-- Psa. 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." (B) Deliverance-- Psa. 34:17-19 "The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. (vs18) The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. (vs19) Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all. (C) Comfort of God's Presence--Isa. 43:2 " When thou passeth through the waters ,I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." (D) Final Deliverance from Sorrow and Pain-- Rev. 21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
2. A Christ likeness Promised to Us--2 Cor. 3:18 " But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 1 John 3:2-3 "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (vs3)" And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself even as he is pure."
3. A Divine Call--- St. John 7:37-39 "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried , saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (vs38) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.(vs39) ( But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" Rev. 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
4. An Assured Endless and Eternal Glory--Rom. 8:16-18 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (vs17) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be glorified together.(vs18) For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
5. A Steadfast Confidence and Security--Psa.91:4-7 "He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. (vs5) Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; (vs6) Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. (vs7) A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee." Heb. 13:5-6 " Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said,(Joshua 1:5) I will never leave thee , nor forsake thee.(vs6) So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."
6. A Freedom From Condemnation--- Romans 8:1-2 " There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (vs2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
7. An Unwavering Knowledge That We Are The Chosen People Of God--- 1 Peter 2:9-10 " But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (vs10) Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy."