Text Ephesians 2:19-22 "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; (vs20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; (vs21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: (vs22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit."
2 Timothy 2:15-19 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.(vs16) But shun profane( not sacred, worldly)and vain babblings( to talk or speak foolishly): for they will increase unto more ungodliness.(vs17)And their word will eat as doth a canker:( anything that causes decay, rotting, or gradual eating away)of whom is Hy-me-nae'us and Phi-le'tus; (vs18) Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. (vs19) Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity."
The Pulpit Commentary,Vol.21 ,Page 31, a Homily Comment on 2 Timothy 2:19. "THE COMFORT ADMIST ABOUNDING APOSTASY.
A. The Church Of God In Its Ever-During Stability. " Howbeit the firm foundation of God standeth." 1. The church is very properly called a foundation, because it is placed in the world as the platform on which the whole future household of faith is to rest(Eph.2:20). Christ is the corner-stone of the foundation. 2. It stands firm from age to age on its unshaken foundation, notwithstanding all the efforts made to destroy it. It was to be the constant witness to the truth amidst all error and apostasy.
B. The Church Of God With Its Two-Fold Inscription. "Having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his; and, Let every one that nameth the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness." It was an ancient custom to engrave upon a building an inscription which told of its origin and purpose. The names of the apostles were written in the foundations of the apocalyptic city of God (Rev.21:14). The Church has a seal with a double inscription, which displays the true character of the edifice. 1.One Inscription Is The Legend Of Comfort And Hope." The Lord knoweth them that are his." What a comfort there is in the thought of this individualizing knowledge! What a hope there is in the thought that the saints are God's "purchased possession"! 2. Another Inscription Is The Legend of Duty." Let every one that nameth the Name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness." There is no place for unrighteousness in the Church of God. Therefore believers must separate themselves from all evil."
The Security Of My Soul Is To Be Found In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Though Testing Will Come.
The Security Of My Soul Is To Be Found:
1. In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Though Testing Will Come--- 1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: (vs13) But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed , ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."
2. In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Through God's Guarantee of Safety, Stability and Protection --- Psa.40:1-3 "I Waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. (vs2) He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. (vs3) And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord."
3.In Still Being Secure In My salvation Through Spiritual Receptivity--- 1 Thess. 2:13 "For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."
4. In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Through a Deeper Life in Christ--- Eph.3: 17-19 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (vs18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (vs19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God."
5. In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Through Christian Maturity --Eph. 4:13-16 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (vs14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the slight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; (vs15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: (vs16) from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
6. In Still Being Secure In My Salvation Through Following Christ's Steps-- 1 Peter 2: 21-23 "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: (vs22)Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: (vs23) Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:"
7.In Still being Secure In My Salvation Through Continuing To Press Toward The Mark--Phi. 3:12-14 "Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. (vs13) Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, (vs14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."