Text: St. Matt. 7:24-27: "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:(vs25) And the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew: and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.(vs26) and everyone that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand.(vs27)And the rain decended, and the floods came and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it".
The Pulpit Commentary,Vol.15 ,Pages 297-298, a Homily Comment on St. Matthew 7:24-27. "LIVING IS BUILDING-- Every man is building himself a house, for all life-work is putting together of a habitation in which the worker will have to dwell. Some build feebly and set up but slight structures, mere huts and shanties. Others work with more ambitious designs, and will make themselves spacious mansions, gorgeous palaces, or massive castles. Whatever a man builds, in that he must dwell. We cannot get away from the results of our own life-work. These will either become a shelter to protect us or a ruin to fall about our heads.
THE FOUNDATION WILL BE TESTED -- All is well at first. The house on the sand looks as fair and solid as that on the rock. But the calm dry weather will not last forever. The rainy season ensues. Torrents scour the mountain-sides and sweep the loose soil from the rocks. Wind and rain beat on the house at the same time that it is being undermined by the raging flood that washes the sand from beneath its foundation. This is like the persecution and tribulation that scorch the growth of the heart of the stony ground (St. Matt.13:20-21). Trouble is a test of the foundation of a professedly Christian life, with death being the final great test.
THE SOLID FOUNDATION IS OBEDIENCE -- A careless hearer of this parable might be ready to assume that Christ is the Foundation, and that faith only in him is building successfully on that Foundation alone. But this is not the lessons of the present parable. Our lord is distinctly warning us against a superficial profession of allegiance to himself (verses 22-23) All is useless if there is not obedience. Faith without works is dead (James 2:17). In other words, the only living faith in Christ is that which proves its existence by bringing forth fruit in active service. Only they are on the rock who do what Christ teaches."
My Desired Result Is To Be Found:
1. Still Standing Though Testing Will Come--- 1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: (vs13) But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed , ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."
2. Still Standing Through God's Guarantee of Safety, Stability and Protection --- Psa.40:1-3 "I Waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. (vs2) He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. (vs3) And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord."
3.Still Standing Through Spiritual Receptivity--- 1 Thess. 2:13 "For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."
4. Still Standing Through a Deeper Life in Christ--- Eph.3: 17-19 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (vs18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (vs19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God."
5. Still Standing Through Christian Maturity --Eph. 4:13-16 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (vs14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the slight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; (vs15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: (vs16) from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
6. Still Standing Through Following Christ's Steps-- 1 Peter 2: 21-23 "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: (vs22)Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: (vs23) Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:"
7.Still Standing Through Continuing Press Toward The Mark--Phi. 3:12-14 "Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. (vs13) Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, (vs14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."
"When the storms of life have ceased, when the rains of affliction, the floods of despair and despondency, and the winds of tribulation all have fled away, let me be found "still standing".
------------ Pastor A.H. Coleman Sr.