Sermon Notes By Pastor Arthur H. Coleman Sr. For Sunday November 4, 2013
Text: 2 Tim. 1:12 "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
The Pulpit Commentary, Vol.21, Page 16, A Comment on 2 Tim.1:12 "HIS PERSONAL ASSURANCE-- IT'S STRENGTH. "For I know him whom I have believed." As he is here speaking of his being a prisoner, we naturally take the reference to be to him whose prisoner in the eighth verse he declared himself to be which was the Lord's. He had lived a life of faith on Christ; and he could speak confidently, from his own experience of him. Not I think I know him, but, as one would speak of a friend whom he has long and intimately lived with, I know him. Without experience we cannot have the assurance that excludes doubt. Only when we have tried Christ, and found him sufficient for us in all positions of life, can we rise above the language of hesitation."
"And I am persuaded that he is able to guard that which I have committed unto him against that day." What is guarded is literally my deposit, But, as the guardian is also naturally the holder, we naturally think of something committed by Paul to Christ; and what was that but his interest, his stake in the future world, dependent on his faithfulness in this? How did Paul know that it would not turn out a blank, or be much diminished by future failure? The explanation was that he had put it into Christ's hands, and he trusted in him being able to guard it for him against that day, which was the day of judgment , when it would become irreversibly, gloriously, his, being as it were handed back to him by Christ."
ASSURANCE: A making certain or sure. A positive declaration inspiring confidence, security or certainty.
HAPPINESS: A being happy ;gladness ; a feeling of satisfaction and pleasure. Happiness is the general word, applying to a feeling of contentment coming from being or doing well or of satisfaction at having got what one wanted.
1. Our Assurance Comes Through Our Persuasion Through Faith That We Have Been Made Nigh to God Through The Shed Blood Of Our Lord Jesus Christ--- Eph. 2:12-13 "That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:(vs13) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were afar off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."
2. Our Assurance Comes From A Persuasion That Nothing Shall Be Able To Separate Us From The Love Of God--- Rom. 8:35 & 37-39. " Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness ,or peril, or sword?(vs37) Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. (vs38) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, (vs38) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
3. Our Blessed Assurance Comes From The Persuasion Of God's Holy Word That He Will Give You Strength And Support--- Isa. 41:10. "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
4. Our Blessed Assurance Comes from The Fact That We Have Been Assured Acceptance At The Throne of Grace--- Heb. 4:16. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in the time of need."
5. Our Blessed Assurance In God Comes From The Fact That God's Grace Extends To Us The Opportunity To Receive The Forgiveness Of Sins--- 1 John 2:9. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
6. Our Blessed Assurance Persuades Us Of The Joy We Can Have Now, Knowing That We Have The Promise Of A New Body And Also A Promise Of Final Deliverance From Sorrow And Pain--- 2 Cor.5:1 "For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." Rev. 21:4 " And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
7. Our Blessed Assurance Persuades Us Of The Joy In Knowing That Our Labor Is Not In Vain--- 1 Cor. 15:58. "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
8. Our Blessed Assurance Persuades Us Of The Great Expectation That Awaits Us- 1 John 3:2-3 "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. (vs3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." 1 Thess.4:15-18 "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. (vs16) For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: (vs17)Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (vs18) Wherefore comfort one another with these words."
9. The Maintence of the Assurance Of The Blessed Is To Seek God--- Isa. 55:6-7 "Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: (vs7) Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." Psa.34:17-19 "The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. (vs18) The lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite(showing deep regret and sorrow) spirit.(vs19) Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all."