Text :2 Peter 1:3-4 " According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain to life and godliness through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:(vs4)Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be the partakers of the divine nature having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust".
2 Cor.6:14;16-18 & Chap. 7:1: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness ? and what communion hath light with darkness?(vs16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.(vs17)Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (vs18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty".Chapter7:1 "Having therefore these promises dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God".
Promise means "words said or written binding a person to do or not to do something.(2) indication of future excellence; something that gives hope of success or ground of expectation for".
The Pulpit Commentary, Vol. 19, pages184-185, a commentary on 2 Cor.7:1 "THE PROMISES OF GOD AN INCENTIVE TO HOLY LIVING. Divine promise is found in all parts of the Scripture. The crown of revelation is thickly studded with the pearls of promise. God encourages his people by multiplying promises to them. There are promises suited to every condition--- for joy, sorrow, sickness, health, penury(great poverty), prosperity, weakness, strength. We change greatly in experience, but in every new condition we find a promise appropriate to it. The manna of promise covers the path of pilgrimage. How needful are the promises to us? For our support, guidance, comfort, encouragement,, happiness, advance. God's promises are our rods and staffs. Were it not for such up holdings, we should soon sink in the mire. How precious are they? What promises are like unto these? How can we compute the value of that which is invaluable? Divine promises are things by themselves. Nothing could compensate for their loss. Of such value are they that only God is rich enough to bestow them. What reliance maybe placed on them? They are all "yea" and "amen" in Christ. Promises, indeed, are obtained from men, but what men fail in is fulfillment. But the word of Jehovah cannot be broken. His promises are precious, but they are not more precious than sure.
The fulfillment of the Divine promises is conditional upon our seeking to live the new life. Newness of living is the evidence of newness of condition.
Charles H Spurgeon 2200 Quotations concerning "promises" " The sacred promises, though in themselves most sure and precious, are of no avail for the comfort and sustenance of the soul, unless you grasp them by faith, plead them in prayer, expect them in hope, and receive them with gratitude".
1. The Certainty Of God's Promises Are Based On God Himself--Deut.7:9-10 "Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;(vs10) And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face." ; Heb. 6:16-19 "For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.(vs17) Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: (vs18) That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:"
2.God's Promises Are Both Valid And Eternal--- Num. 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?; St. Matt. 24:35 Jesus said " Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
3. THEREFORE THE PROMISES OF GOD ARE:
a. Assured By Divine Ability-- a. To do exceedingly--- Eph.3:20-21 " Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, (vs21) Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. A-men." b. To guard the soul's treasure---2 Tim.1:12 "For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have beleived, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which i have committed unto him against that day." ; c. To keep from falling---Jude 24-25 "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before his presence of his glory with exceeding joy, (vs25) To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, and dominion and power, both now and ever. A-men."
4. To The Afflicted God Has Promised---a. Brighter Days--Psa.30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."; b. Deliverance-- Psa. 34:17-19 "The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. (vs18) The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. (vs19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all."; c. Divine care in sickness--Psa.41:1-3 " Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble. (vs2) The Lord will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.(vs3) The Lord will strenghten him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness."; d. Comfort of God's Presence--Isa.43:2 " When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."; e. Final Deliverance from sorrow and pain-- Rev.21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
5. To the Humble God has made promise---Isa. 66:1-2 "Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? (vs2) For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word."
6. To the Liberal God has promised--- (an abundant return) St. Luke 6:38 "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."
7. To the Penitent God has made promise--- Joel 2:12-13 " Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: (vs13) And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of evil."
8. To the Poor God has promised ( an overshadowing providence)--- Isa.25:4 "For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall."
9. To the Seekers God has made promise--- 2 Chron. 7:14 "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
10. To the Tempted God has promised( a provision of a way of escape)--- 1 Cor.10:13 "There is no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way of escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 11. To the Workers in Christ God Word has made promise(ultimate reward for labor) --- 1 Cor. 15:58 "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
12.To All Believers God has made promise of the Ultimate Profitability, Success and Victory through all circumstances of life--- Rom.8:28-31 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.(vs29)For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.(vs30)Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (vs31) What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?"