Text: 2Tim.3:1-5 &7 “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (vs2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (vs3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (vs4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (vs5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (vs7) Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
Heb.13:5-6 “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he has said, (Ref. Josh.1:5 & 1Chron.28:20) I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (vs6) So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.”
The Pulpit Commentary, Vol.21, Pages 408-409, A Comment on Hebrews 13:5-6 “For he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Extraordinary is the emphasis of expression in this assurance. No less than five negatives are employed by the writer to give force to this one brief yet blessed promise. The argument of the text is this, that the abiding presence of God with us is a sufficient reason for contentment. It is so because his presence guarantees: 1.WE HAVE ALL THINGS IN HIM; (1) Provision(Psa.84:11; St. Matt.6:25-26). (2) Protection (Psa.121:1-2; Rom.8:31; 1 Peter 3 :12-13). (3) Guidance (Psa.73:23-24; Prov.3:5-6;). The summation of which can be found in Phi. 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
2.THE SANCTIFICATION OF OUR PORTION. His gracious presence will sweeten the poorest fare, and cheer the most depressed condition, and exalt the lowliest circumstances. To his faithful suffering servants his presence transformed a loathsome dungeon into a palace beautiful (Acts 16:24-25).
The Divine Constancy which gives us "something to hold on to" is based on God’s Immutability
Constancy/ Constant: means "firmness of mind; determination; steadfastness;(2) always being the same; absence of change; something permanent; a state of uniformity; invariable; ceaseless; continuous; perpetual; persistent or the same. Heb.13:8 “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever”.
I. The Divine Constancy which gives us "something to hold on to" is based on God’s Immutability .
The Immutability of God is defined as "that perfection of God by which He is devoid of all change, not only in His Being, but also in His perfections, and in His purposes and promises".
Ex. 3:13-14 “And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall asy to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? (vs14) And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”
Num.23 19 “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
Mal.3:6 “ For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.”
II. Why the need for "something to hold on to"? Why the instability of the world?--- Sin--- Prov.14:34 “Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.”
Isa.59:12-15 “For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them.(vs13) In transgressing and lying against the Lord, and departing away from our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood. (vs14) And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. (vs15) Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey. And the Lord saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment.”
III. What Of Our Lord's Divine Constancy Can I Hold On To:
1. God's Care for His people--- Isa. 46:3-4 “Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are borne by me from the belly, which are carried from the womb; (vs4) And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.” Psa.37:23-25 “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. (vs24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand. (vs25) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”
2. God's Preservation of His people--- Prov.2:8 “ He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.” 2 Tim. 4:18 “And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
3. God's Impartiality toward His people--- Deut. 10:17-18 “ For the Lord your God is Godof gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, not taketh reward: (vs18) He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and rainment.”
4. God's Peace for His people---Psa.29:11 “The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.” Psa.119:165 “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.” Isa.26:3 “Thou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” Phi.4:7 “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
5. God's Grace toward His people--- Psa. 84:11 “For the Lord God is a sun and a shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Heb.4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
6. God's Mercy toward His people--- Mic. 7:18-19 “Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? He retaineth not his anger for ever, because he deligheth in mercy.(vs19) He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.” Joel 2:12-13 “Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: (vs13) And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.”
7. God's Love for His people--- Eze.16:4-6 & 8-9 “And as for thy nativity, in the day thou was wast born thy navel was not cut, neither wast thou washed in water to supple thee; thou was not salted at all, nor swaddled at all. (vs5) None eye pitied thee, to do any of these unto thee, to have compassion upon thee; but thou wast cast out in the open field, to the lothing of thy person, in the day that thou wast born. (vs6) And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live. (vs8) Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord God, and thou becamest mine.(vs9)Then washed I thee with water; yea, I thoroughly washed away thy blood from thee, and I anointed thee with oil.” Jer.31:3 “ The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” Rom.5:8 “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” St. John 3:16-17 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.(vs17) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”