Sermon Notes by Pastor Arthur H. Coleman Sr. For Sunday December 21, 2014
1 John 2:3-6 “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (vs4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (vs5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. (vs6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore(for that reason, as a result of something, or consequently, implies that the conclusion is inevitable) if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
The Pulpit Commentary, Vol19, Page 135, a comment on 2 Corinthians 5:17---“ The believer has died with Christ. Christ is his Substitute , has borne his sins, has made complete satisfaction for his guilt. By faith he is so united to Christ that what Christ has done is imputed to him. He is thus new in relation to God. He was condemned; now he is justified. He is “risen with Christ”(Col.3:1). He has received the Spirit of Christ. Having been justified, he is now being sanctified. The likeness of the Redeemer is being wrought upon and in him by the Holy Ghost. There is thus a “new creation”. The old life was a life of sin, but the new life to which he has risen is a life of righteousness. The love of Christ constrains him (vs14) to live, not to himself, but to Christ.
This newness is manifested in the believer’s (1) spirit; (2) speech; (3) character; (4) acts; (5) plans, purposes, desires, ect. There is no part of the believer’s life from which the newness should be absent. While not yet perfect, manifestly a great change has taken place: “Old things are passed away”.
Finally, all men in Christ become new creatures. A decided change takes place in the best as well as in the worst. All men may become new creatures in Christ. The vilest can be re-created equally with the moral. This newness is not to be waited for till we enter another world. It belongs to this sphere in which we now are. Unless we are new creatures in this world we shall not be new creatures in another. It is on earth that “new creatures” are especially needed”.
Psalm 17:15 “As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.”
Evident: “easy to see or understand; clear; plain.”
Evidence : “whatever makes clear the truth or falsehood of something. (2) an indication or sign.”
Proof : “evidence that leaves no doubt.”
1. Real Evidence Or Proof Is Needed Beyond Mere Profession And /Or Works Because They Are Not Sufficient Within Themselves As Evidence Of Being In Christ.--- St. Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (vs22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? (vs23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”(gross injustice; wickedness).
2.Real Evidence Or Proof Of Being A New Creature Is Needed Because Of Satanic Transformations--- 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. (vs14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (vs15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.”
3. Real and True Evidence And Proof Of Being A New Creature In Christ Is Needed Because Of The Apostasy And Hypocrisy Of The Last Days In Which We Now Live. ---1 Timothy 4:1-2 “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (vs2) Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;”
2 Timothy 3:1-5,7 “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (vs2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (vs3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (vs4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (vs5) having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (vs7) Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
4. Real And True Evidence And Proof Of Being A New Creature Is Needed Because Of False Worshippers In The Church.--- Isaiah 29:13 “Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:”
5. Therefore Let The Evidence And Proof Of Me Being a New Creature Be Seen In The Life That I Now Live--- Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me
6. Let The Evidence And Proof Of Me Being A New Creature In Christ Be Manifested In My Non-Conformation To And My Transformation From This World.---Romans 12:1-2 “I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (vs2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
7. Let The Evidence And Proof Of My Being a New Creature In Christ Be Manifested In My Coming To Terms With My Discipleship.--- St. Matthew 16:24-26 “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (vs25) For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. (vs26) For what is a man profited, if he gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”
8.Let The Evidence And Proof Of My Being A New Creature In Christ Be Seen In My New Desire.--- Psalm63:1-7 “O God thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; (vs2) To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. (vs3) Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. (vs4) Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up thy hands in thy name. (vs5) My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: (vs6) When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. (vs7) Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.”
9. Let The Evidence and Proof Of My Being A New Creature In Christ Be Manifested In My New Ambition.--- Philippians 3:9-14 “ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: (vs10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; (vs11) If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.(vs12)Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. (vs13) "Brethren I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,(vs14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus".
10. Let The Evidence And Proof Of My Being A New Creature In Christ Be Seen In The Manifestation Of My New Satisfaction.--- Psalm 17:15 “As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.”