1 Cor. 15:57-58 "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.(vs58) Therefore my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
The Pulpit Commentary page 160 on 1 John 5:4 IN ITS CONFLICT -" Our text speaks of overcoming, and overcoming is suggestive of struggle."Victory" implies combat. The Divine life in man and the life ungodly world are essentially antagonistic. Satan is "the prince of this world"---"the god of this world.""St. John constantly teaches," says Canon Liddon, "that the Christian's work in this state of probation is to conquer 'the world.' it is in other words, to fight successfully against the view of life which ignores God, against that complex system of attractive moral and specious intellectual falsehood which is marshaled and organized by the great enemy of God, and which permeates and inspires non-Christian society. The world's force is seen especially in 'the lust of the flesh, in the lust of the eyes, and in the pride of life.' These three forms of concupiscence manifest the inner life of the world, and against them the Christian has to contend. It is the battle of truth against error, of light against darkness, and of love against hatred."
IN ITS CONQUEST - Whatsoever is begotten of God overcometh the world; and this is the victory that hath overcome the world, even our faith". The Divine life in the children of God is by its nature mightier than the life and spirit of the unchristian world. There is conflict, but the conflict issues in the victory of the child of God. He is not overcome with evil, but overcomes evil with good. He is not led astray by "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, or the vain-glory of life," but rises superior to them. In proportion as he who "is begotten of God" participates in the life of God, he vanquishes the world and its temptations, both its seductions and its tribulations. And all the evil world, of which the apostle wrote, is destined to be completely conquered by the life of God working in and through men."
IN THE SECRET OF ITS POWER- " This is the victory that hath overcometh the world, even our faith. And who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" Notice: 1 The nature of this faith. It is not mere intellectual acceptation of a theological proposition or propositions; " not that heartless assent which never touches the practice nor molds the affections." This faith is quite as much a moral as an intellectual act; it is of the heart as well as of the head; and it infuses courage, molds character, and directs conduct."
We Gain Victory In Our Lives Through The Things That Are Provided By The Finished Work Of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Victory is defined as: (1) The advantage or superiority gained in defeating the enemy or an opponent in battle; triumph gained by the force of arms.(2)The defeat of an enemy in combat, battle or war.(3) Success in any contest struggle or enterprise; supremacy, superiority, or triumph in any effort.
1. What Personal Issues Do We Need Victory Over:
(a) A Desperately Wicked Heart--- Jer. 17:9-10".The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? (vs10) I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."
(b) The Inward Battle--- Rom. 7:18, 23-25. (vs18)"For I know that in me(that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."(vs23) but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.(vs24) O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?(vs25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."
(c) Maintaining Commonality of Mind and Spirit with the Church-- 1 Cor.1:10. "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
(d) A Love for the Things of the World--- 1 John 2: 15-16. "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.(vs16) For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."
2.We Gain Victory In Our Lives Through The Things That Are Provided By The Finished Work Of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Crucifixion with Christ is the Secret of Victory Over Self--- Gal. 2:20. "I am crucified with Christ : nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
2. Equipment in the Lord is the Secret of Victory Over Satan--- Eph. 6:13-18 " Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all to stand.(vs14)Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;(vs15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;(vs16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.(vs17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God:(vs18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;"
3. Separation to the Father is the Secret of Victory Over the World--- 2 Cor. 6: 14, 17-18 "(vs14) Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (vs17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you (Lev. 26:12).(vs18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."(Isa.52:11)
4. Walking in the Spirit is the Victory Over The Flesh--- Gal. 5:16-18 "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.(vs17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.(vs18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."
5. Well Doing is the Secret of Victory Over the Talk of Ignorance of Foolish Men--- 1 Peter 2:15-16 "For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:(vs16) As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God."
6. Christ Living In Us is the Secret of Victory in the Christian Life--- Eph. 3:16-19 "That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;(vs17) That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,(vs18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;(vs19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God."
7. Conclusion:--- The Ultimate Prize of My Victory by Faith In Christ--- 2 Tim. 4: 7-8 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:(vs8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."